Sustainable mobility for everyone
Show the world a positive future by designing, building and demonstrating true zero emissions vehicles utilising Australia’s and the world’s best technologies.
- Demonstrate to the general public the future of true zero emissions personal mobility.
- Promote the high technology products and services of our development partners and sponsors.
- Educate and train the next generation of student leaders in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) and project management.
- We are a Melbourne-based, non-profit, all-volunteer group dedicated to promoting sustainable mobility.
- We participate in high profile public and competitive events, reaching more than 500,000 people each year.
- We are partnered with Swinburne University to develop Solaris, a stylish, fully Australian road legal, two-seat, solar-electric passenger car for everyday, off-the-grid use.
Aurora started in 1980 by building petrol economy specials. Between 1983-85 it held the world record for fuel economy posting a high of 5107 miles per imperial gallon. In 1987 Aurora turned to solar car development when Hans Tholstrup devised the first trans-continental World Solar Challenge. Aurora has been a contestant in every World Solar Challenge, winning the Event outright in 1999 and achieving class wins in 1990, 2007 and 2013. Aurora has also participated in a number of major sustainable mobility events and competitions worldwide.
Our Key People
- Andris Samsons, Chairman and Management Committee Member
- Gordon Baker, Treasurer and Secretary
- Tom Baker, Electrical Team Leader and Head Strategist
- Martin Brook, Marketing/PR Manager, Educational Outreach Leader and Management Committee Member
- Nick Grant, Membership Officer
- Qun Dai, Photographer
- Alice Ho, Public Relations and Automotive Interior Designer
- Ali Jafari, Design Leader
- Shaun Johnson, Lead Aerodynamicist
- James Kirk, Electronics Research & Development
- Joost Kuckartz, Engineering Leader
- Benjamin Lam, Systems Integration
- Damien McArthur, Aerodynamicist
- Jack McArthur, Crew Chief
- Daniel Mills, Mechanical
- Derrick Rodgers, Driver
- Bruce Telfer, Operations
- Darren Trafford, Manufacturing Leader and Management Committee Member
- David Zhao, Automotive Exterior Designer